Veal sweetbreads | fennel | broad beans by restaurant Inter Scaldes***
4 persons | Appetizers, Beef, Yakiniku favorites | Meat | Appetizer
Courtesy of Paul de Groote and Ruben van Helvert - Restaurant Inter Scaldes***
- Poach the sweetbreads, for about 20 minutes, in a broth of onion and bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, light a medium amount of charcoal and heat your Kamado to 140°C. When the Kamado is up to temperature, place the grid in the Kamado. Place the grid on the highest level. For this recipe, work with direct heat.
- When the sweetbreads are done, let them cool down. Then peel the skin off the sweetbreads.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them, place the slices on the Kamado and let them brown gently. Then mash the potatoes with milk and butter to a creamy puree.
- Let the Kamado cool down to a temperature of 85°C.
- Prick the stalks of the spring fennel into the sweetbreads. Make a bed of the seeds of the fennel in the drippan. Lay the sweetbreads on top and smoke for 40 minutes on the Kamado.
- After 40 minutes, increase the temperature to 160°C and fry the sweetbreads nice and brown and crispy all around.
- Gently fry the broad beans on a low heat with the cream, sliced savory and some salt.
- In the meantime, prepare or warm the gravy.
- Serve the sweetbreads with the puree, broad beans and gravy.
- 4 lobes of sweetbread
- 12 stalks of dried bronze fennel
- 30 g bronze fennel seeds
- 1 kg large potatoes
- 100 ml milk
- 250 gr butter
- 400 g double-podded broad beans
- 100 ml cream
- 10 gr savory
- 250 ml mustard gravy
- grill grid
- drip pan
- baking mat
- hand blender or blender